It doesn’t have to be January 1st to make a resolution. The Christian life is about refusing complacency and deciding to “excel still more” and striving to “increase and abound” (1 Thess. 4:1; 3:12). The only way to grow in Christ is to decide (or resolve) to do so.
Growth often requires the decision to “make every effort” and “be all the more diligent” (2 Pet. 1:5, 10). In the spirit of seeking intentional growth, here are some resolutions Christians can make to grow more into the fullness of Christ.
1. Pray for someone else every day (Col. 1:2; 1 Thess. 5:25)
2. Encourage another Christian every day (Heb. 3:13)
3. Read the Bible daily (Ps. 1:2)
4. Talk to someone about Jesus every week (Mk. 16:15; Acts 8:35)
5. Cultivate the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23)
6. Refuse to gossip about others (Prov. 20:19; Jas. 3:5-10)
7. Give your best at your job (Col. 3:23-24)
8. Find something to give thanks for every day (Eph. 5:20; 1 Thess. 5:18)
9. Never willingly miss a worship service (Heb. 10:24-25)
10. Always forgive, no matter what and refuse to hold a grudge (Eph. 4:32)
SEE ALSO: 5 Ways to Improve Your Devotional Life
11. Serve others every chance you get (Mk. 10:44-45)
12. Make money a servant and not a master (Prov. 23:4-5; 2 Cor. 9:6-7)
13. Find ways to serve widows and orphans regularly (Jas. 1:27)
14. Invest in a wayward member and work to bring them back to Jesus (Jas. 5:19-20)
15. Learn a book of the Bible you’ve neglected in an in-depth way (Ps. 119:18)
16. Repent of any sin you’ve been clinging to for some time (Prov. 28:13; 1 Jn. 1:9)
17. Find ways to serve that don’t put you in the spotlight (Mk. 10:44-45)
18. Get to know a member of the congregation that you do not know well (Jn. 13:34-35)
19. Get involved in serving your community in some way (Gal. 6:10)
20. Memorize a verse a month for the next year (Ps. 119:11)
Spiritual resolutions can be valuable, no matter when they are made. May God give us the strength to follow through!